Cooking Classes

21.7.10

Saskatoon Berry Clafouti

I have never made a clafouti and have been curious after seeing so many on Foodgawker and Tastespotting and reading the interesting recipes.  I have not seen one with saskatoons so I just made adaptations and came up with this.  It is an alternative to making a pie or a crisp which is what most people do with saskatoons.

I promise not to bore you to tears with saskatoon berries like I must have with rhubarb!  I just love to use local products and create new ways to cook with them.

Clafouti is a rustic, simple French dessert that's a cross between a pancake and a custard. Cherries are traditional but you can use other fruits successfully.  

Saskatoon Berry Clafouti

  • 1/2 cup almond flour
  • 1 1/4 cups whole milk
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 cups of saskatoon berries
  • 3 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • Powdered sugar


Add milk and bring to the a simmer with the almond flour. Remove from heat; let steep 30 minutes. Pour through fine strainer, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard solids in strainer.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter 10-inch-diameter glass pie dish; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar. Scatter saskatoons evenly over bottom of dish.
Using electric mixer, beat eggs, almond extract, salt, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in medium bowl until well blended. Add strained almond milk and beat to blend. Sift flour into egg mixture and beat until smooth. Pour mixture over saskatoons. Bake until set and knife inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool completely.
Can be made 6 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Lightly dust clafouti with powdered sugar and serve. 

11 comments:

  1. Did you love it? I think they are so good! What do the berries taste like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful and simple recipe...almonds..can not go wrong with almonds in anything...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can honestly say I have never heard of this berry. I am with Sarah above, what does it taste like????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy this looks amazing!! Saskatoon berries are delicious, as my awesome syrup (thanks again Sarah!) can attest :) Like a blueberry, YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First time I went picking Saskatoons I was looking for them on the ground (like wild blueberries), but darned if they don't grow on trees. Coulda' fooled me! I love their tartness and this is a perfect use for them. Great job Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Saskatoon berries look much like blueberries! I'll bet this is wonderful; I love almond anything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even here in BC Saskatoons are everywhere. Jam is my favourite way to use them but clafouti is a great option!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great berry clafouti and Sarah, thanks for sharing the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love clafouti's! They are the only thing I attempt to bake besides biscotti!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mouth-watering photos, Sarah.
    I love clafoutis...usually make a cherry one though. I'll try yours next.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never heard of saskatoons, but they look somewhat like blueberries to me. It sounds delicious- I love the flavor of almonds with berries.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.