Cooking Classes

12.3.11

Goat Cheese and Herb Gougères

Goat Cheese Herb Gougères

1 cup milk
4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
4 large eggs
1/2 cup crumbled fresh goat cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
optional grated parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top




Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.  In a medium saucepan,  combine the butter, milk and salt and bring to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat and add the flour all at once.  Whisk for a few minutes, then return the pan to the heat and continue whisking to dry the paste out slightly.  Remove the heat from the pan again, switch to a wooden spoon, and add the eggs — one at a time — stirring to make sure each egg is fully incorporated before adding the next.  Stir in the goat cheese and chopped fresh chives.

Pipe the batter onto the baking sheets (or drop by the teaspoonful).  You can sprinkle them with grated parmesan cheese, if you wish.

Bake each sheet, one at a time, in the 375 degree F oven for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees F and continue cooking for another 5-10 minutes, until the tops are nicely browned and the gougères are puffed. Serve warm, or let cool completely and freeze in a well sealed bag.  You can reheat in an oven on a baking sheet before you’re ready to serve.
Makes about 2 dozen.

 I did a little experiment with my new Kitchenaid steam assist oven.  I cooked the gougères in two batches.  The darker and crispier ones were cooked with the steam assist.  They are far superior in colour and texture.

11 comments:

  1. You're right, the two different baking methods really make the Gougères appear differently. Do you think that if you cooked the "conventional" ones longer that they'd look like the other batch? Either way, I'm sure that they were a pleasure to eat. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look really delicious. I'm impressed with the difference it made to use the steam assist! I wonder if we can substitute fresh ricotta for the goat cheese?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to make Gougeres! Tasty morsels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gougeres are a favorite of mine... I make a little batch and pop them inthe freezer for snacks... a minute in the toaster and they are ready to go... sweet of savory.. Delish recipe, Sarah. So glad you got to take the steam assist for a test drive.... something tells me that you are going to be having too much fun playing with this... how about puff pastry???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those appetizers, they look so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catherine, these Gourgeres are simply beautiful; what wonderful treats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah, everything you've made in your new kitchen looks delicious. I'm so happy for you after the months of camping in the cellar. I hope your bathroom is now in good shape too.

    Great to learn these little delights can be frozen otherwise I'd munch them all down at once - you see there is a very pleasant goats milk cheese sitting in my fridge just calling to be used.

    Sending care and huggles from me and loud snoring from Zebby Cat, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look like les petits choux! I prefer the crispy ones cooked with steam assist. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look wonderful! I pine for a convection oven or 2 when I have to replace mine, but that steam assist looks like a nice feature, too.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.