Cooking Classes

24.5.11

Roast Loin of Boar with Juniper Berries












Wild boar is my meat of choice at the moment.  The only times I have eaten it is in a restaurant and in Italy.  Cinghiale, as the Italians call it.  The robust flavour of this meat stands up well to aromatic spices and herbs.  This was absolutely delicious.   I served it with an orzo, toasted pinenut and grated parmesan side dish.  Add a lightly dressed mesculun greens salad and the main course is complete.  I scraped up bits of the sauce left in the bottom of the pan to lightly dress the meat.

This is local Saskatchewan wild hog and can be found at the Regina Farmer's Market from The Green Ranch.

Roast Loin of Boar with Juniper Berries

3 lbs loin of wild boar, bone in

Marinade
2/3 cup red wine
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 diced carrots
1/2 cup diced onion
2 crushed cloves of garlic
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 sprig fresh tarragon
5 whole juniper berries, crushed
2 teaspoons salt


Bring all the marinade ingredients to the boil, and simmer for 3 minutes. Leave to cool. Score the fat on the loin lightly across the top, and place the meat in a deep dish, covering with the marinade. Leave for 2 or 3 days, turning the meat twice a day. Remove the meat and wipe it dry. Place it in an oven-proof braising pan or heavy casserole dish over heat, and add the oil or lard. Brown the meat well.   Bring the marinade to the boil in a second pan and add to the meat.
Cover the pan and cook in a low oven (330F) for 2 1/2 hours. Add stock as necessary so the pan does not go dry.  Place meat in a serving dish. Transfer the sauce into a pan, skim off the fat and bring to the boil.






































12 comments:

  1. I didn't know juniper berries were edible. Live and learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering !! DCiane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - that looks delicious and I love the addition of the juniper berries. I can't wait to try it on some of our Arizona javelina

    ReplyDelete
  4. The marinade sounds interesting! Have a nice evening.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks great Sarah... I see you have been on a boar kick... I have some in the freezer... must try it soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. From the cooking time, I assume boar is not served rare like steak. Does it require the long oven time?
    Have you ever seen The Two Fat Ladies old TV show?
    They used juniper berries in several recipes. As I recall, they were game dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. exquisito asado muy aromático el adobo,cariños y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Juniper berries are new to me, but you always make your dishes sound so delicious!
    Looking forward to the upcoming challenge when you will be the hostess, can't wait to find out what you will challenge us to do! Thanks for your visit and your lovely comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Un plat qui est certainement délicieux.
    La cuisine au vin est toujours très bonne.
    Une pâte de rhubarbe : c'est une bonne idée.
    Je n'y avais pas pensé.
    See soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have only eaten boar once but I have never prepared it. Yours looks delicious. I like the different herbs...and of course, the wine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. the only thing i know about juniper berries is that they're used to flavor gin--i wasn't aware that they were edible (or worth eating)! this looks like an interesting and flavorful meal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my stars ~ all this beautiful yummy food and such pretty photos of it all! I look forward to learning a few cooking techniques. In the kitchen, I need as much help as I can get! :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.