Cooking Classes

8.1.12

Cheddar & Jalapeno Biscuits

Tonight I am attending a pot luck supper with my photography group.  Oven roasted ham is the main course and the rest of us bring the side dishes.  I have opted for cheddar and jalapeno biscuits.  I think they will compliment the menu nicely.

I always refer to Dorie Greenspan when I make biscuits and scones.  Her recipes work.  Because it is post-Christmas and all that goes with the over indulgence of the season, I have opted for the basic biscuit dough rather than cream scones.  I hope they are just as good.

For added flavour I cubed some cheddar cheese and diced pickled jalapenos.

Cheddar & Jalapeno Biscuits            adapted from Dorie Greenspan

1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup cake flour
6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cold milk
3 ounces aged cheddar, cubed
2 pickled jalapenos, finely chopped

Centre a rack in the oven and preheat to 425F.

Whisk the flours, baking powder, sugar and salt together.  Drop in the butter and work with your finger tips until the mixture is pebbly.  Add the cheese and toss.

Stir in milk and peppers.  Knead a few times until all the flour is incorporated.  3 or 4 turns should be enough to work it all together.

Divide into 2 circles.  Press each circle flat to about 1" thickness.  Cut each circle into 6.

Bake the biscuits for 14 - 18 minutes or until they are puffed and golden brown.  Serve immediately.

4 comments:

  1. This look scrumptious...Love these type breads. Jalapeno and cheddar is a natural pairing. Awesome.

    Cheers.
    velva

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found you can never go wrong with Dorie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn, those look wonderful. I love the cheese oozing out.. I can almost taste it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.