Cooking Classes

10.1.12

Hearty Winter Black Bean Soup

This is another hearty winter soup.  Black beans are so delicious and work well with pork.  I used my sister's spicy venison sausage for this.  I squeezed the meat out of the casing and browned it before adding to the soup.  Corn adds a little colour.  This freezes well and you can put it away for single servings.  The only addition I might make next time would be some barley or rice or potatoes.

Black Bean Soup

1/2 lb turtle beans
1 meaty ham hock
1/2 lb mild Italian sausage
1/2 lb spicy Italian sausage
1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped & sauteed with the garlic
6 cloves garlic, squashed
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon coarse Kosher salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 cups frozen corn
2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley

Soak the turtle beans overnight.  Drain and rinse.

Fill a stock pot with about 8 cups of cold water.  Add ham hock, soaked black beans, sauteed onion & garlic and all herbs & spices.  Bring to a boil and simmer for about 2 hours or the beans are tender and ham falls off the bone.  Remove the ham hock and shred the meat.  Add the meat back to the soup.  Sautee the sausage and add to the soup.  Add the corn and flat leaf parsley.  Serve.  This would be nice with a dollop of sour cream or creme fraiche.

This freezes well.  Put it away for instant lunches.

6 comments:

  1. Perfect weather for a cold winter day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure could use a lovely bowl of this right now Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great minds think alike! Love this soup. I am on a bean soup binge these days. How I would love tsome of that venison sausage. Yum!
    Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm a meal all on its own. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMM the looks good. I have been off black beans for a while. Seems I'd had some around too long and they took forever to cook and were never really soft so... my dish was BLEH. I am reminded to put a little tag on the jar to remind me when I got them... and throw out whatever is left in the bottom before refilling!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum yum yum!!! I love homemade soup and this looks very delish! I actually cooked a turkey today and have my stock cooked. I will make my turkey and lentil soup on Monday. Mmmm.... hot soup hits the spot on our snowy days I think. ;)

    Hope you are keeping warm inside Sarah!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.