Cooking Classes

13.2.12

Pumpkin Butter Sour Cream Coffee Cake

I had 4 cooking classes last week so have not been blogging.  It was a fun week though!  Teens 'n Moms made Layered Taco Salad in a Homemade Tortilla Bowl and a Sukiyaki.  Both relatively easy one dish meals that they can repeat at home.

Then it was a Men's Class and we cooked 'en papillote'.  Men are very calm and straight forward in the kitchen.  We tested the Mozarella and Basil Tomato Martinis that would be served at the next class.

Then I had two nights with a Taste Tour to Italy.  That was more of a tasting menu with about a dozen dishes ranging from Cinghiale Sugo (Wild boar stew) and Risotto Milanese, Duck Breast with Pomegranate Chile Sauce, Sweet Potato Gnocchi, caponata, pannacotta and lots more.  Needless to say, I have spent the day cleaning in my kitchen!  And probably will spend tomorrow finishing the job.

Tonight I am off to be a judge in a Chili Cook Off.  I am hoping I can take some pictures.

I have sour cream left over from another gig and pumpkin butter in my pantry.  So they went together in this little coffee cake that I am taking to the office for my friends there.  Click here for my recipe for pumpkin butter.


Pumpkin Butter Sour Cream Coffee Cake

½ cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream
1 cup pumpkin butter
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped dried fruits

Filling:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 ½ tsp cinnamon

3 Tbs butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9×9” pan by lightly greasing it.
In a medium bowl, beat together the butter and the sugar until fluffy.

Add the sour cream, pumpkin butter, eggs and vanilla to the bowl and mix well.

In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
Gently add the dry ingredients to the cake batter.


Mix into a smooth batter.
In a separate bowl, combine the dry filling ingredients while the butter is melting.
Pour the butter in and stir until you get a crumbly mixture.


Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan.
Sprinkle half of the filling over the batter.
Repeat the process with the other half of the batter and filling.


Bake on the middle rack in your oven for 50-60 minutes until the middle has baked all the way through and a skewer comes out clean.
Slice and serve warm or at room temperature. (keeps well for several days)

16 comments:

  1. Those martinis sound especially intriguing and this cake looks great! Have fun judging the cook off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just for you, I am going to post those on my blog in a few days.

      Delete
  2. This coffee cake looks so super good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn! I am at the wrong office. Looks great.

    JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to bring something when I come to your office, too.

      Delete
  4. I'm not sure when you have time to work in an office. You are one busy lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it! Something has to pay the bills though!

      Delete
  5. This cake looks splendid! would love to know how one makes pumpkin butter as I have loads of pumpkin in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just added the link for my recipe! Sorry, I should have done that.

      Delete
  6. Everytime I read about your classes I wish I lived near you... I would attend all of them! You are so enthusiastic it is simply contagious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you lived closer, too. You are such a fabulous cook. I could learn from you.

      Delete
  7. I've learned something new today, I've never heard of pumpkin butter! This slice of cake looks great!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pumpkin butter, huh? I love the way that slab of cake looks - gorgeous. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting cake. You explain the procedure clearly thanks it will help me a lot. i will try this for sure, my kids will surely love this :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.