Cooking Classes

5.4.13

Chicken Tenders and Is It Spring Yet?

I cannot believe that I just walked out of my front door and to my car without the treachery of winter ice. There is no snow or ice on my driveway or sidewalk. The garden is snow free. My back yard only has sketches of the white stuff. Is it possible that spring will come again this year?

We had our doubts as the snow continued to fall and obliterate any part of my garden that the sun exposed.

Do I dare hope? It is only April and we can have our most wicked storms in April.

I spent my day making Lamb Biryani that I will post later. Yesterday was Chicken Tikka. They were both yummy. I am getting ready for my newspaper article for Victoria Day. Did you know that it was in Queen Victoria's reign that Indian food made its debut in England? Neither did I. Well, it wasn't true Indian food. It was Anglo-Indian food. But they loved it and still do today.

Today I give you a simple treat. If you love chicken fingers then here is a way healthier version. This is real chicken, oven baked and has all the flavour of the deep fried kind you get in the bars.

Baked Chicken Tenders
Choose chicken tenders rather than wings because they are lower in fat. These can be frozen after baking for easy fast food later. To make them crispy again, shallow fry in cooking oil to reheat. I use panko breadcrumbs because they absorb less oil but you can use what you have on hand.
1 lb. chicken tenders                                               
1 1/2 c. panko bread crumbs                                    
1 c. finely grated parmesan cheese                      
1 c. buttermilk                                                           
1 tsp. garlic powder                                                
1/2 tsp. paprika                                                
1/2 tsp. crushed chili peppers                                  
1 tsp. salt                                                            
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper                                   
Mix buttermilk, salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili peppers, and paprika. Place chicken tenders and buttermilk mixture in a resealable bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour or overnight.
Mix breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, cayenne. Drain chicken tenders and roll in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing to completely cover.
Bake on a rack that has been placed on a baking sheet at 500F  for 15 minutes.
Serve immediately with vegetable sticks and low fat ranch dressing.

5 comments:

  1. A few days or warm weather will change all of that pretty quickly Sarah. I was out and about yesterday and the forsythia and magnolia/flowering almond are blooming.I enjoy chicken tenders especially on busy work days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your blog on Taste of Beirut and came for a visit. I don’t have a food blog, mine is more about trips but I love to read about food and try new recipes. I see you share many interesting ones. I am not much one for chicken, I prefer lamb as a meat. I’ll come back to read your past recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you think I do nothing but eat squab and foie gras, but honestly chicken breast is the thing I eat most of... fried baked sauteed... LOVE it.

    This is a great simple recipe I look forward to trying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this recipe for chicken tenders and saving it! We eat a LOT of comforting breaded chicken and I need to make them at home to avoid all of the salt and preservatives in the chicken from the restaurants.

    Plussed this for you on Google+

    Yes, do dare hope that spring is coming to you soon! It's been horribly cold down here too!

    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let us hope this new snow fall does not bring back that ice!
    Your homemade chicken fingers look delish!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.