Cooking Classes

16.11.13

Winter Arrives Gently



The snow has been falling since before I went to bed last night. Overnight it was gentle and soft and there was only a light covering this morning. Without wind blowing, it settled on branches, leaves and fences. It is a warm day.


My plan for the day is to go skating with my brand new skates. The arena is a little farther than I want to walk. And besides, the sidewalks are icy. The roads are icy, too, and no one on my street even left their homes until mid-afternoon.

Have you ever had a Sunday feeling kind of day? That is today. Skating can wait. Forrest Gump and I have a date.


Pheasant Hash for a Snowy Day


Hash is best made with leftover potatoes. They hit the hot pan and brown bits form on the bottom and you scrape them up. The carmelized bits of potato, onion and carrot are rich. This is a recipe for those days you have no leftovers, only fresh.

Pheasant rillette is made from the confit leg and thigh. I used the same method as for my duck rillete. This is the  link to my recipe for Duck Rillettes

Pheasant Hash

2 potatoes, cubed
2 carrots, cubed
1/2 onion, coarsely chopped
whole peppercorns
fresh sage
smoked sea salt
morasch chilies
pheasant rillettes
olive oil

Heat cast iron pan over medium heat. Add oil to cover bottom and saute onions until clear. Add potatoes and carrots. Stir to mix. Add 1/4 c. water and cover with lid. Steam to soften. Cook until tender. Cool.

When cooled, heat the pan again on medium high and add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Add seasonings. Stir up the crispy bits. Add 1/4 cup pheasant rillettes. Serve hot with a fried egg.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I am jealous of your snow! They are calling for tornadoes around here tomorrow!! I want winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Pam, I will take snow over tornadoes! Hope you are safe.

      Delete
  2. Everyday I head to work I can see the snow a little further down the mountains. It has not arrived yet, and that makes me happy. Love hash too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Felt like some comfort food today as I am holed up in my house.

      Delete
  3. It can wait!
    I love the first..

    but it can wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had my winter tires installed on Friday. Thank heaven!

      Delete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.